Landscaping business is one of the fulfilled businesses that can help landscaping business owners earn a handsome amount. Moreover, you can set your own work time and charge accordingly. This article will provide a stepwise guide on starting a landscaping business to set foot in the landscaping industry.
What is unique about Landscaping Business?
If you are interested in the lawn care industry, then you can easily earn the money out of it. Landscaping services help you to get stable financially. It requires a lot of hard work but is also rewarding. A successful landscaping business can be judged on basis of the client’s satisfaction.
What are the advantages of starting a Landscaping Business?
- It gives you freedom to set your own working hours.
- You can work in outdoor fresh environment.
- You can set your own rates based on your work.
- You can easily get involved with the local community.
- The success of business can easily be measured by the client’s satisfaction.
What are the disadvantages of starting a Landscaping Business?
- It requires patience and hard work.
- This business requires physical labor in outdoor environment.
- It can easily be affected by bad weather conditions.
- A proper marketing campaign is required to make it a success.
- A proper business plan is required for startups.
What are the financial benefits of Landscaping Business?
Landscape businesses have grown by 3.8% per year between 2015 to 2020. Landscaping business and landscaping jobs can help you earn a handsome amount for a good living. Recently the research has shown that there is an 11% increase in the salary of the lawn care business in the U.S.
If you are a landscaping owner, then the chances are higher that you will earn enough to be able to live a good life. Whereas, working as an employee in the landscaping business may not help you earn a good amount.
What are the different types of Landscaping Business?
A lawn maintenance company is divided into different segments that provide different services. Few of the fields require a proper degree in landscape architecture. It is recommended to start your business with basic lawn mowing services and then you can add up different services as the business grows.
A professional landscaper is the one who rearranges the soil, water and organic materials to take care of a plant in the best possible way. The duty of a landscaper is to take care of the plant in a way that should aesthetically appeal to the people around.
A professional landscaper has two options – he can redo the existing lawn or can redesign from the scratch. The details must be written down to meet the client’s satisfaction. The flowers may be arranged, pots and stones can be added to make it appealing.
Experience is important in every field but in the landscaping business, you can perform well even in your first project. Your aesthetic sense should be good enough to arrange the lawn in the best possible way. You can use design software to put down the details that are in your mind.
Many countries require a landscaping license in order to work as a professional landscaper, therefore, you should know the rules and regulations of your country in terms of business insurance and business licenses.
A gardener is required to take care of the already existing plants or maintaining the landscape and saving it from any damage. The gardeners are not involved in the design making of the lawns. The work of a gardener includes:
- Lawn mowing
- Choosing right fertilizer for plants
- Using pesticides
- Cleaning up the garden
- Carving the plant and leaves
3. Interior Landscaping
Interior landscaping deals with indoor tasks. Indoor spaces like shopping malls, business firms, large buildings, indoor schools etc are included in this type of landscaping.
Interior landscaping services include the maintenance and care of indoor plants and their accurate placement within the enclosed space.
Steps to Start a Landscaping Business Successfully
1. Decide your Service
You need to decide the service that you want to offer. Normally, the lawn care service are divided into two major categories – landscaping and lawn maintenance. You need to choose that which category do you want to offer to your clients.
Landscaping Service :
It includes the following services:
- Designing a layout for lawn
- Rearrange the existing landscape
- Improve the lawn aesthetically
- Include the items in the lawn to give a nice effect
Lawn Maintenance Service:
- Installation of sod
- Lawn mowing
- Weeding process
- Choosing right fertilizer
- Carving and trimming plants
- Using pesticides
2. Target Market
You should decide at the start what type of clients do you want to work with and how are you going to serve them. After deciding your service, jot down the type of company you want to work for. This way you will be in a better position to target the market.
3. Arrange the Equipment
You can either buy or rent the equipment used for the landscaping or gardening services.
Here is the list of basic equipment for a startup landscaping business:
- Leaf blower
- Ear protection
- Eye protection
- Lawn aerator
4. Define your Prices
You may decide the process of charging on – hourly or project basis. It may vary on the basis of environment, experience level and offered services. It is always a wise option to see the rates of your competitors before deciding your own rates. Your rate should include the number of hours you will be working, the hard work and the services you will offer to the client.
Once you’re ready with your prices, you can send the invoices to your clients through email, or even in person. It is also suggested to use any accounting software if you want to take payments online.
5. Apply for a Landscaper Business License
The license rules vary from state to state. Before getting into this business, you need to know the rules and regulations of the landscaping businesses regarding licenses.
The estimated cost for a landscaping license is somewhat $15 to $200 per year. An employer identification number is also needed for getting your official bank account and tax deductions.
6. Brand Your Company
Branding the company requires few important steps.
1. A unique name should be chosen to attract clients.
2. A well-versed mission statement should be written down. It will keep you focused as well and will attract potential customers.
3. The services offered should be properly mentioned with all the minor details. It will help you define your limitations.
4. A branding message should be written to attract customers to a lawn care business.
5. A properly designed logo is also required for a landscaping business.
6. Hire a professional web designer to design a professional website where you can add your services, hourly rate, portfolios and customer service.
7. Marketing Plan
You need to choose the marketing strategy for your landscaping company to the target your audience. You can use any of the following ways:
1. Social media posts
2. Branding messages
3. Branding emails
5. Paid ads
Is a landscaping business profitable?
Yes, a landscape business is profitable if you are the business owner yourself. You can use your creative skills and make it successful. A